Tournament: Masters Tournament – Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA
Hole: 8th – Par 5, 570 Yards
Architect(s): Bobby Jones and Alister MacKenzie – 1933
The 8th hole at Augusta National presents competitors with a distinct scoring opportunity as the 570 yard par 5 will be reachable for many in the field. From the elevated tee, competitors will look to strike a strong, yet accurate drive in order to avoid the large right fairway bunker that requires a 330 yard carry. Beyond the first landing area, the fairway climbs significantly up to the second landing area. Depending on fairway position and wind conditions, longer hitters will attempt to go for the green with a fairway wood or hybrid. Regardless if competitors opt to go for the green or lay-up, a blind second shot favoring a right-to-left shot shape, to avoid a cluster of trees on the left, will be faced by competitors. Conservative competitors will lay up short and right of the green to their preferred wedge distance. While the green features no bunkering, the putting surface is protected by a multitude of distinct mounds that can require creative shot-making. The most severe mounds are present on the left side of the green where challenging up-and-downs will be faced. The green features a significant false front as well as a strong ridge in the middle of the putting surface.
Historically, the eighth hole plays as the third-easiest hole on the course with a scoring average of 4.83. In 2017, the hole played -0.25 to par (1 Eagle, 90 Birdies, 181 Pars, and 20 Bogeys).
- The distinctive greenside mounds were removed in 1956 to improve sight lines for patrons, but were restored in 1979 under the supervision of the late Byron Nelson.
- In 1986, Tom Kite hit a sand wedge from 80 yards that dropped in for an eagle to get within two shots of the lead. Seve Ballesteros, Kite’s playing partner, would then play a pitch-and-run from 40 yards short of the green and to match Kite’s eagle and take the lead.
- Bruce Devlin scored the second double eagle in Masters history here in 1967.